Thursday, December 31, 2020

On My Bookshelf: December

An interesting fact about me: after college, I didn't read as often. Sure, there were romance novels and historical books, and reading for work, but I really didn't read for pleasure for a long time. My undergrad and graduate studies burned me out to some degree, so I kept everything very casual.

Since the beginning of COVID, I've read more than I have in years. There are books that I haven't included in the blog posts, shorter pieces that I've read electronically. These past months are a reminder that I really love reading, and need to keep it as a part of my daily schedule. It's such an enriching part of my life that I left out for too long. 

The month of December has been especially good for reading now that I'm on a brief recess from school. I haven't taken a day off from virtual learning (except Thanksgiving break) and it is such a relief. Even though I'm working from home, it's still time-consuming! And I'm trying hard to give myself space to heal after COVID.

by Colleen Houck

I'm going to be very honest about this one; I liked the cover and bought it. It helped that it was on sale too! I've noticed lately that I've been drawn to stories about witches and all things fantastical. I wonder if there has been a growing trend for these genres. 2020 has been a rough year and I can see people needing a form of escapism, even if it's just within the covers of a book.

There's definitely a steampunk vibe here mixed in with the magic and fantasy. The author has done an excellent job of painting a picture of both the human and monster worlds, tying them together neatly in the storyline. It's a light read, more of a YA novel, but fun nonetheless. 


I'm in love with this author's tone. I know that sounds really weird, but seriously! His take on monsters and myths speaks to my soul. He's mildly sarcastic but also respectful of the stories of the different stories he relates. I have this one on my nightstand and I read a chapter every night. It certainly wasn't creepy, more thought-provoking. How do these stories relate to each other? When did different parts of the world all agree about the existence of vampires or ghosts? Why is the night so vast and dark and full of terrible creatures that want to eat your face off?

By Jerry Craft

Meet Jordan, a 7th-grade student who is enrolled in an expensive, preppy, mostly-white school. While he makes friends fast, he suffers through many moments that make him feel out of place as black and from the city. This graphic novel walks through one year of his time at the school, and how he coped with different things, from taking the long bus ride to microaggressions from teachers.

Let me start by saying, if you are a teacher, BUY THIS BOOK IMMEDIATELY. While I've seen and heard racism outright in school, the details of how Jordan and some of his friends experienced an all-white school was made crystal clear by direct language and thoughtful illustrations. This book made me look closer at myself as a teacher, examine my behavior, and make plans for the future. It was so real, and I applaud the author for overcoming the negative experiences and putting his story out there for everyone to learn from. 

By John Updike, Illustrations by Edward Gorey

Let's begin with the fact that Edward Gorey is brilliantly terrible. His book, The GashlyCrumb Tinies, contains all describe the 26 gruesome tales of children and their mortality. That is not this book, but I believe John Updike captures the essence of such horrible things, and it is fantastic. One of my favorite lines: "A man of no plausible address, with no apparent source for his considerable wealth, comes down the chimney after midnight while decent, law-abiding citizens are snug in their beds-is this not, at least, cause for alarm?" While very short, I plan to read this to my future children to remind them that Christmas is scary and weird.

By Yao Xiao


This graphic novel describes the experience of Yao Xiao as an immigrant to the United States, as well as her coming out as bisexual to her family and friends. While it is a quick read, this one settles in your soul. Buy it immediately and thank me later.

Yao Xiao's story sticks to your ribs like oatmeal, her illustrations the sprinkle of cinnamon on top. I admire her simplistic but detailed drawings that capture each moment in minute detail, taking the reader along on just so many emotions. Feeling exposed and vulnerable? Check. Alone? Yes. Strong and proud? Totally. This is another one I want in my classroom ASAP because she tells her story so well.

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...