Thursday, December 10, 2020

A Trip to the Botanical Gardens

Recently we had to drive to Cleveland to pick up a vehicle; shipping in and out of our state was not feasible for this model, so we decided to stay overnight in the city. As a side note, I don't have the stamina to drive for 7+ hours, so the hotel was a necessity!

This was the first time I've really "left" to go anywhere during the pandemic. All of my trips were canceled pretty early in the year, so really my only time away was to a house on the lake (which was still totally awesome!). It was oddly comforting to see the hotel nearly empty; we never really saw any guests, except for the front desk attendant. Everyone wore a mask and different protocols were in place which helped with safety too. Overall I wasn't very nervous about it, and I'm counting on those antibodies to help too.

Because we were in a different city, I scoured the area for outdoor activities, which are in abundance this Christmas season. I found an event through The Cleveland Botanical Gardens that offered a safe experience in their Glasshouse and outdoor gardens. At first, I was anxious about the short indoor portion, but when we arrived it was apparent they'd put some thought into safety.

1. All tickets were timed, with only a few people per hour. We only saw two families when we walked through the main areas. 

2. Everyone was required to wear masks at all times. I didn't see any issues with this, but then again I didn't see very many people, which is also awesome. 

3. They stopped foodservice and instructed people to drink outdoors, where they spaced out tables/chairs, along with heaters so people were more likely to stay out there.

4. There were people cleaning at different intervals.

5. They kept a flow of traffic inside and outside, meaning it was easy to keep apart. Arrows clearly marked direction, and it kept people separate. 

6. People mostly stayed the **** away from us, which is an awesome thing that I would like to continue after the pandemic. I don't like when people I don't know get too physically close!

Is it wrong that I absolutely LOVE this? I feel like pre-pandemic life was all squished together, as more people equals more money. Now with the distance, we can really enjoy a space without a crowd of a hundred people lurking about. There was an emphasis on going outdoors, something that is missed during the winter. And I seriously think Krampus should be involved in every family gathering from this point onward!

So we walked around and enjoyed the site. I had to stop every little part of the way to take a break; the outdoor area had heaters and chairs, so that was easy. I was pretty exhausted for most of it, but I can see the importance of pushing myself a little, especially if there is another bench twenty feet away! It has taken about three days to recover from the visit; darn this recovery time. The day after the visit I could barely lift my arms, so I'm still working on feeling better. At least I had the chance to look at something pretty!


With the holidays just around the corner, this trip has inspired me to work a little harder to finish my Christmas presents and decorate the house. Of course, it takes me FOREVER to decorate, an eternity when doing it slowly, but I'll eventually get there. And I'm leaving the decorations up for at least a few months...

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...