Thursday, December 17, 2020

19th Century Funny Gift Idea: Ornamental Lamp Cap

As the holiday season pushes into full swing, I find myself with a ridiculous amount of gifts to make. I've participated in a gift swap; I made a ton of fun things that took all of my energy for a while. I usually make presents from my fiance's mom, starting with a scrapbook and a few other things. And of course the obligatory cute gift for my fiance. After all of this creating, I just need something else...


Godey's Lady's Book, February 1858

ORNAMENTAL LAMP CAP.

THESE little fanciful articles have their use as well as their prettiness, being designed to fit the tops of the chimney glasses of the table lamps, for the purpose of excluding the dust. They are extremely suitable for trifling presents, for fancy fairs, and for Christmas trees. Being in various colors, they are very showy, and require but little time to make.

The directions are extremely simple. The margin is made of a piece of ribbon sewn up and folded so as to be double, and of half its own width. This is sewn into a little round, also double, with a white chalk seed bead on every stitch. On the top is placed a little branch of artificial flowers, standing rather up on one side in the style of a feather, and round the cap is carried a quilling of ribbon in small plaits, which completes the trimming.

I definitely know the purpose of this gift. Keeping dust out of a lamp is important when said lamp is the only source of light in a room. I get that 100% and have no qualms about the utility of such an item. We often take for granted our access to modern technology, as this item is unnecessary today.

But seriously. It is so Victorian. It is a ton of ribbon and flowers and prettiness to cover the top of a lamp. Do you want to know what else is terrible? I want one. I NEED ONE. And no, I don't keep lamps around the house (cats) so this is an item that has no purpose. My Grandma Dolly would have called this a "ditzy shitzy," because it is cute, but not needed. Please note: even the author sees this as "very showy." And somehow a thing for Christmas trees. What? I need it more now.

Just know this. One day I would like to make one of these things. This silly, pretty little lamp cap.

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...