Tuesday, November 9, 2021

A (Bloody) Halloween

I remember Halloween as a kid; I always wanted to be a zombie bride or monster princess or something like that. I wanted to wear a dress AND terrorize the earth with a terrible curse. Is that too much for a girl to ask? As I've gotten older, my tastes have evolved, but only a little.

This year I settled on "Ancient Goddess Who Has Received Sacrifice." I bought a pretty crème-colored dress on Amazon that is adorned with stars and moons. I could have used another outfit in my wardrobe, but I REALLY like how it turned out. I needed something magical, and at the very least I can use it again for other costumes.

Next was my tiara. I needed something spikey and regal, so I headed to Michael's and picked up these crystal beads. The wire wrapping technique wasn't too difficult, though I definitely need more practice if I want to do it again. I attached the stones to a think piece of gold wire, then attached that to a thick black headband. The end result blended in well with my hair and glinted different colors in the light.

Finally, I had to decorate my (willing) victim. I bought a plain white shirt and used different types and colors of paint along the front to simulate the blood. In my CSI fervor I also did tried interesting forms of spatter; large drops, sprays, and even a few pools. As an added bonus I put my left handprint on the side, as if I'd reached into his chest to claim my prize. It was a very Indiana Jones scene, at least how I imagined it in my head. 

With the appropriate touches of blood on our faces, the costumes were complete! Considering the fact that I've already "captured" his heart already, is it too much of a stretch for me to consume it? (Ha ha!)


While the whole thing was a very quick endeavor, with only a few hours of prep for the completed work, it reminded me of my many transferable skills. I've worked with wire wrapping beads, face painting, and even have experience from teaching forensics blood spray. I'm impressed with the final product!

Who knows what I can make next with that set of skills? 

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...