Monday, October 18, 2021

The Van Gogh Experience

SPOILER ALERT: If you are thinking about doing this exhibit and do not want to see any pictures in advance. To be honest I've seen previews already, but nothing quite compares to the actual experience. Dom and I went on a Sunday night, and it was the perfect mix of calm and awe before a busy week.


The first part included close-ups of different paintings with Van Gogh life facts and quotes. I REALLY liked his quotes. There's something absolutely fantastic about seeing and hearing someone through the written word. It's like reading a love note when you see a signature. 


We sat in the same room for an hour, watching the paintings come to life and move of their own accord. It was magical when the flower petals flurried around us; the sea shifted with the wind on the huge walls. The view was also different depending on where you sat; we constantly moved to experience the paintings from various vantage points. People wandered in and out, but it wasn't intrusive. The music matched the notes of color and brushstrokes. It was nothing short of amazing.


The whole experience was romantic in a sad sort of way. I've never been so close to Van Gogh's work, and it felt like we became friends. It's one thing to see a painting; it's completely different to be wholly engulfed, immersed by color and light. I would definitely go back to see this one, and I'd love to see it from different painters too!

With winter slowly looming in the distance, I'm starting to plan blog posts. There are a few projects on my desk right now. Hopefully as the rush of a new job starts to slow, I'll feel more like my creative self once again. In the meantime, stay safe!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...