Thursday, October 21, 2021

On My Bookshelf: October

With school finally swinging into motion, I’ve found myself really, really tired. Not weary, not burnt out. Tired, as if I’m doing a lot of things in one day. I am doing a lot of stuff; between the new job, working out, and advocacy work, I keep myself going all the time. On the rare occasion when I’m not cleaning or walking the pup, I find time to read.

One thing I’m really grateful for is that my new school really supports independent reading. It is discussed, brought up as a part of every English class. I make time every week so students can read what they’d like, and it is totally awesome. There’s a lot of research that shows kids who like to read become better readers. I think back to myself as a youngster, and it’s totally true.


1. I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter

By  Erika L. Sánchez


I focused a lot of my reading this month around Hispanic Heritage Month. You’ll notice a lot more YA novels in my reading; they come recommended for my students. I’m enjoying reading now compared to this past summer, possibly because I know students will enjoy reading them soon. Also, bonus for me supporting Latinx authors wherever I can.


This one hit close to home in so many different ways. The author loses her sister in an accident, and is forced to face a new reality where the “favorite” child is now dead. Julia grapples with her own grief while dealing with her parents’ traditional Mexican views. I can practically taste the tears.

While my life doesn’t completely parallel that of the main character, I found similarities. I know what it’s like to break tradition, to not live up to certain expectations. And of course I have a long brown braid right now! I think this is a great coming-of-age story, and I think it will connect with some of my students very well. 


By Aiden Thomas



With Hispanic Heritage Month in full swing, this book was an easy selection. First, I’ll buy anything that connects to Día de los Muertos, and this book is clearly doing that. The cemetery, candles, and flower petals on the cover are clues as to the themes in this book. If you were guessing a bit of magic, of brujeria, then you guessed correctly!


The book follows Yadriel, a transgender teen in a family of brujos. He’s struggling to find acceptance from his community, and though he is able to prove his magic to himself, he still feels like he must do so with his family. Then he stumbles upon a great and terrifying secret, one that might tear his community apart. I liked this YA book for the characters, the setting, and most of all the lesson; we are who we are, we are enough.


By Cathy Camper and Raul the Third



It is absolutely necessary that I read at least one graphic novel a month. While this book is more aimed for younger readers (even younger than high school), I still enjoyed the artwork immensely. I talked to my students about this one, and I said; “Sometimes you just need to look at some good art, something nice. We don’t always have opportunities to do that in this world.”


The message is straightforward; we all have talents, and are capable of following our dreams. The main characters enter a contest where each has to utilize their particular talents for them to win. It’s certainly fantastical, with elements of space and human-like creatures. But it’s an easy read and I love to support Mexican creators!


~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...