Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Governor Warner Mansion Cemetery Walk

With fall comes the inevitable but delightful cemetery walks. Having participated in a few over the years, I was excited when Governor Warner Mansion needed volunteers. There's something magical about spending hours at a grave and talking about dead people. At the very least, it's a nice way to observe the trees change colors.


I played the role of Patience Comstock Power, the daughter-in-law of the founder of Farmington. She and her husband were Quaker and worked tirelessly as abolitionists. They helped enslaved people escape to Canada through the underground railroad and eventually started a settlement there. I shared her story with curious visitors; we raised a good amount of money for the museum too! It's nice to have people learning more about their community history and getting involved. And of course, I get to wear one of my dresses. Noelle and Katherine were presenters as well, so we had a chance to catch up!


It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to present to visitors. It was fun, though I pushed the limit of my lungs. I was very tired afterward and spent the next few days recovering. I don't know if I'll ever get tired of talking to people about history and dressing up while I do it. Hopefully, there are more chances for me to do this soon! Let's hope that COVID doesn't make 2022 difficult too...

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...