Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Inspiring Braidwork Patterns, 1860-64

As an incredibly busy summer comes to a closet, I find myself wondering about my upcoming projects. Sure, I have about 10 sitting on my desk/shelves, but sometimes it is hard to find the inspiration to continue working on them; an uninspired mind lacks the creativity to finish!

So there I was on an odd Tuesday, grazing and munching on 19th century magazines. I noticed the ridiculous amount of braiding patterns for literally anything. Shoes, wallets, pincushions, clothing, and even a table cover are covered in the stuff. While I'm not planning a project anytime soon, I just love the geometric designs. As I sipped my cup of tea, this blog post was born.

Please forgive the messy nature of the post. While I have given snippets of each pattern, I have not given full context. Do not cover every historic item you own in anything and everything braiding; click on the link and search through the original document to learn more. Once you train your eyeballs to look for something, you really do see if everywhere.

Otherwise, enjoy the inspirational snack! Maybe I'll spark a bit of creativity in someone. At the very least, I will get back to that pincushion I've been glaring at for six months.















~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...