Friday, August 9, 2019

Port Sanilac 2019

I love Port Sanilac! It's always my favorite event of the year. I get a chance to catch up with friends, dip my feet in some cold water, and enjoy being immersed in the historic village. Extra points if I can sit around the fire or take a peek at the museum house. This year was no different!
(Photos by Ken Giorlando and the first by Jennifer Long)

This event we put on a county fair, complete with ax throwing, races, and a pie contest. I definitely signed up to judge the delicious pies, and we went to town on them. It was like sharks feeding in a frenzy; probably not, but a lot of pie was consumed in one day. Also, Larissa brought honey from Russia, and it was too good. What do they feed the bees in Russia, anyway?
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, hat and outdoor

We also did a fashion show, and while it is small, it is certainly informative. We try to represent a range of clothing and classes; a lady wearing her wrapper, farmers, children, soldiers, and even mourning can be found on the stage. Knowing the story behind the person better represents what and how they wear clothes.

And then there's me. It was in the mid 80s all weekend, and due to my intolerance of heat, I was slightly too warm (Michigan cools down at night, but during the day! Ugh). One of my clever ideas that allows me to cool off AND be an educator: explain what ladies did to tolerate the heat! This includes a fan, water, and my foot in an aromatic bath. Of course I'm not expecting visitors that day in my home, just lounging around staying cool. The crowd always asks if reenactors are too warm, and my answer is always YES! But here's what I do to fix that.
Image may contain: Kristen Mroz, stripes, table, tree, shoes and outdoor
Image may contain: 10 people, including Jillian Drapala, Jennifer Long, Larissa Kyryluk Fleishman, Ken Giorlando, Kristen Mroz, Candy Cary, Jackie Schubert and Jean Cook, people smiling, people standing and wedding

Finally, we made a trip to the beach. One of the benefits of living in The Great Lakes State is that you're always close to some body of water, and in our case Lake Huron. People did give us funny looks when we stepped on the sand, but it was worth it to feel the waves. My petticoat was dirty and wet and totally worth the trip. I crashed pretty early on Saturday night after a full day of reenacting, eating, and chatting it up with my friends.
Image may contain: 4 people, including Jillian Drapala, Jackie Schubert and Kristen Mroz, people smiling, people standing, ocean, sky, child, beach, outdoor, nature and water
Image may contain: 3 people, including Jackie Schubert, people smiling, people standing, ocean, wedding, outdoor and water

And then...a 7 am wake up call telling me my pup was sick. I'm terribly attached to the little fellow, and here he is coughing and puking. Off to meet my fiance at the emergency vet! While I did intend to spend the second day in camp, I rushed to pack up my stuff and make the nearly two hour drive. In reality, the men in camp stepped up and had my little setup apart in minutes. This is the hobby I know and love; a group of history loving friends who help each other out. 
Image may contain: dog

He's doing swell now, but he needed his mom there to calm him down and do recovery cuddles. He's a feisty little beagle! Within 24 hours he was back to his old self, bouncing around the apartment and getting in to things. I just learned yesterday that he's been accepted to a therapy dog organization, so we'll be in training this fall. Pup will be volunteering at a school, nursing home, or hospital near you!*
*If you are in southeast Michigan LOL

Even after leaving early, I declare Port Sanilac another success. I'm taking a trip up to Traverse City soon, and school starts in a week. Keep your eyes peeled for an announcement about the conference; things are coming together, and registration will be open in early September!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...