Tuesday, July 14, 2020

A Healthier 2020

There is a saying that I've noticed come out of the Great Quarantine of 2020, one that oversimplifies the situation (even if it does make me giggle): "3 ways to get out of quarantine; a hunk, a chunk, or a drunk!" While I don't think that joke is true for many (and it trivializes the very complex issues of mental health in a pandemic), I find myself somewhere on that scale.

At first it was panic eating. Every trip to the grocery store meant grabbing anything sugary. I baked so many treats and ate enough crap that even my high school self would have been proud. And those Zoom meetings with drinks? We were doing what we could to feel better, and I was coping with the fear of having someone on the front lines. Fear and anxiety make me eat and drink! But this is something I have done for as long as I can remember.

In spring of 2019 I received a red flag on my blood sugar test results. They were high, and if I continued with the current rate I would be in the prediabetes range at a very young age. This was slightly terrifying, since I watched my Grandma die from complications of her own un-managed diabetes. I was seeing a direct correlation between my eating habits and my health. I wouldn't wish her illnesses on anyone so I knew I had to make a change. I did make small ones here and there, but I'd always revert back to the old eating habits.

Fast forward to now. By the end of April my coping skills improved, and I signed up for a challenge online with my gym. I cut out most carbs and sugar, and began fasting 18-20 hours a day. Tons of salads and vegetables with lean meats. I still worried about the pandemic but instead of eating, I did yoga or tried a new recipe. In two months I lost about thirteen pounds, down thirty pounds total from the 2019 blood tests, Weight is just one measure, so I try not to use it as the main indicator of my health.

My new bloodwork results just came in this morning...and my blood sugar levels are low! Lower than they have been in nearly 6 years! I've been bouncing around the apartment all morning with excitement. I feel better than I have in a long time, so it's great to have that reflected in my medical chart as well. I still have weight to lose to be in the healthy range for my BMI, but I can do that with if I just continue what I'm doing now.

So back to that original saying...will I leave quarantine a hunk, a chunk, or a drunk? I'm going to go with none of the above, and say I'm healthier, happier, and less addicted to sugar :)
Image may contain: Kristen Mroz, food and indoor


Take care of yourselves! Stay safe and eat your veggies!
~Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Yay, congratulations! Healthy eating during a time when your body WANTS comfort food is really hard (I keep failing with that...) so kudos to you for sticking with it. Your snack looks really good. What is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Greek Cucumber boats: Shredded chicken, feta, kalamata olives, sliced beet, tzaziki sauce, greek seasoning, all stuff into a scooped out English cucumber. They are super yummy and now I think I'll make some again!

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...