Sunday, August 8, 2021

The Detroit Historical Museum Visit

I'm rather shocked at myself for not making the trip to the Detroit Historical Museum earlier, considering I've lived in this part of Michigan for nearly a decade. I blame the DIA, which is very close by and offers a wine bar/cafe in a very pretty courtyard. But I had a little bit of extra time during the school summer break and had an opportunity to make the visit.

I'm afraid I didn't take a lot of very good pictures. I was so busy reading and looking at different exhibits that I sort of forgot about using this for a blog post. Do you ever get so caught up in the moment that you forget to capture it? I'm usually more on top of things, but this trip was almost therapeutic in that I just wanted the experience of it.


There's a lot of history to unpack in Detroit, a city of change, growth, failure, and triumph. Having lived in downriver Detroit for much of my childhood, I learned about many of these stories. However, there's something absolutely different to see videos and artifacts. One really cool moment; I saw a map of the riots in the 1960's; my Grandma gave birth to my Mom during the Detroit Riot of 1967. She was a newborn and required to stay at the hospital for some time due to an illness. The staff was nervous about what was happening, and my family had to make decisions about my Mom at the hospital because of it. It's interesting to see it mapped out in a museum! (I feel like that could be a blog post all by itself!)


There were a lot of other exhibits, and I spent hours wandering around. The basement of the museum features a town, complete with brick road and storefronts. I was the only one down there for a little while, and it was pretty creepy. They had mannequins in different windows, and when I say that I saw their eyes move, I'm only slightly kidding. I did not stick around long enough to be a part of a horror movie...

I have a random scatter of photos, and since I was really lazy about this whole process, I don't remember details around them (LOL Covid brain!). If you'd like to know more about something you see in particular, feel free to drop a comment. We live close enough that I can return whenever I like!

After looking at these pictures, I'm already planning my next visit. Perhaps I can send my beloved fiance to the basement on a mission to snap some creepy pics...he's pretty smart, so I doubt he'll be tricked into it. If you have a chance to visit The Detroit Historical Museum, I recommend the visit!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...