Friday, March 19, 2021

The Flint Museum of Art

Recently I had the opportunity to visit the Flint Institute of Art. Over the years I've made plans to visit, and then would change those plans because of the many other things on my plate. I was driving by in the area and thought, "Yep, now works." I was not disappointed!

I wandered around for over an hour, just letting myself feel the art. Since it was during the week there were few people around. I mostly had the place to myself. The quiet made it easier to really absorb what I was looking at. I forget how rich my world was pre-pandemic, at least in terms of in-person art experiences. I used to go several times a month to either the DIA or some other museum nearby.

It is a wonderful experience to see different people interpret the world, and to have that readily available. While I tend to prefer 19th-century paintings, there are so many mediums that can be used to express them. The FIA features ancient art, as well as modern, including photography, glasswork, paintings, carvings, textile art, and even beadwork. 

When I'm viewing pieces at a museum, I look for different things. There's the usual stuff, like jewelry and items that I like to reproduce in my shop. Then I move past that, into inspiration. Sometimes a color combination, often a pattern, or even a technique I'd like to research in the future. I may even use it in my classroom for a visual learning activity.

I've realized too that this year has been incredibly difficult. Between getting COVID and coping with the trauma of a pandemic...I needed something that brought me some joy, that reminded me that this world can still offer beauty. 

Here are a few of the pictures I took while at the FIA, and you can enjoy! I didn't get pictures of every plaque/artist, but if you're particularly interested, I can find out that info pretty quickly and will send it.     
I love that coral jewelry and doll!
The dog, the rug, just all of it.
I've definitely been in the mood for spring...
I know this wasn't meant to be spooky, but church 
with old graveyard at night?
There's something about this dress that caught my eye.
Very life-like!
Again, something in this struck me.
The colors, the expression on the face.
It's hard to see this one up close, but the pattern
was this pretty green with red, blue, and gold accents.
This guy was really, really big and made from glass.
I'm a sucker for ancient greek looking statues...
The colors, patterns, all of it!
This one just brought me back to my old
Catholic School days...
This makes me want to do photography of everyday objects 
in my life as a sort of journal of the pandemic.
Ancient objects always feel like they're hiding secrets.
I'm always astounded by how these objects have survived 
for so long...
This artist had a lot of abstract art, 
and you could really feel each color with each piece of paper
I seriously thought this was a real person and freaked out. 
It is super lifelike and kinda creepy
This one reminded me of paper marbling!
It was the color combo for this one...

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...