Tuesday, March 30, 2021

On My Bookshelf: March

 Another month of wondrous Michigan out of the way...she's extra temperamental in the spring, always sending snippets of warm weather followed by a winter storm. It doesn't matter that I've spent my entire life in this state, I'm always fooled by that false spring. This year was no exception!

It's also odd to think that this is a year later after quarantine. Life is so different! One of my biggest changes is that I'm reading WAYYY more than I did before. Reading has become a necessary part of my day, which is such a contrast from before. It's like I spent years reading very little, and then I had time to read, so I took it! I haven't read this much since I was a kid, devouring those chapter books like they were treats.

This spring has also led to reading outside on our swing overlooking the backyard. Sometimes deer and squirrels will come up for a visit, much to the chagrin of my ever-present beagle, who points his tail and goes insane. Apparently once a hunting dog, always a hunting dog!

by Erika Buenaflor, M.A., J.D.

This book is similar to one I read last year about curanderismo. Now that I have a little background knowledge I have a deeper understanding of the text. This book gives more background about ancient Mayan people and their culture, which helps explain the different traditions. It's odd still to see elements of my own family's traditions woven around different customs. I never thought to question why we did certain things; they were just part of who we are and what we did. As an adult trying to learn more about her heritage, it's helpful to make those connections. I 100% think you should read this book if you're Latinx and looking for more ways to look into your past. It's opening a whole new world of research for me...books. There are more books I have to buy!

By Jean Nicole Rivers

This may be a little-known fact to my faithful readers, but I really started my love of reading in the horror/mystery genre. I first recall stealing a Mary Higgins Clark from my Mom's bookshelf in 4th or 5th grade, and then I was completely hooked. I later jumped to Stephen King and just fell hard for the scary stuff. So when this book series came across my Tik Tok last month, I decided to give it a try. 

The story jumps ahead years after the disappearance of a young woman in a small town; police find her body, and her friends and family grapple with the investigation. Regina, the main character, tried to run from her past and is pushed right in the middle of it after they discover her friend's corpse. It's a basic mystery, an oldie but a goodie, as my Grandma would say. While I did love the plot and the details, sometimes the author's writing style didn't quite mesh with my usual style. It's still good work, and I'll be reading the next one in the series since a good story is always worth reading!

By Audrey Niffenegger

This book kept popping up on my Amazon recommended list and I was interested in the front cover. Still, I didn't order it until it went on sale because I wasn't sure about what to expect. It is a beautifully illustrated story about three sisters, their lives together, and the obstacles that keep them apart. The storyline was short and to the point, but the real captivating aspect of this book was the illustrations. I didn't just look at each page, I experienced it, which may sound weird, but hey, this is my blog and I can talk about things how I wish. I will use this book to help inspire me in some of my future artistic endeavors. 

By Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook

I 100% judged this graphic novel by its cover. My favorite genre for as long as I can remember has always been horror, but this image went beyond that. There's a sort of domestic tranquility implied with a skin tucked away gently into a drawer, the blinking yellow eyes of a ghoul just inside. I was intrigued and had to read it!

The main character discovers dark secrets about herself, secrets about her family, secrets about the town where she lives. There's so much to unpack in each little scene that I keep going back to reread in case I've missed something. The art is fantastic, the storyline is well-written, and though I would not give this to children, it's certainly a good read for adults. I've already ordered the next one in the series!

By Charles Phillips

Once when I was a kid I visited my Aunt and Uncle with the rest of the family. At some point during our visit, I managed to find a coffee table book about mysteries, monsters, and other creepy coincidences in history. I can't say definitively that it was the moment I really fell in love with the genre, but it was certainly a good start.

This book brings up mysteries I'd never considered or researched; people going missing or dying under mysterious circumstances is far more common than I'd previously considered. I liked how the author made sure to address the burning questions about each case, though leaving it up to the reader to decide for themselves. Maybe I'll save this one for my nephew to find in a few years :)

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...