Thursday, February 11, 2021

Punch Paper Love

I've always thought smaller holidays were really interesting. Valentine's Day is no exception to that, and I remember doing all sorts of fun things when I was in middle school; making cards, handing out candy, putting together a little card box, eating tons of candy, and etc. As I've gotten older that sentiment has turned into nice dinners and phone calls to family. It's odd celebrating love, but perhaps fitting that it is in the middle of a very cold February? 

I'm excited to see that Valentine's Day was totally a thing in the 19th century too. I've not only seen that in primary sources, but in some of my research and surviving originals. There were hearts and notes and all sorts of cute little things for people to give and receive. I've noticed that in my punch paper collection too; while all are definitely not valentines, the art of sentiment and love is hard to miss.

So please enjoy these pieces from my collection, and perhaps try your hand at one for yourself!


~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...