Friday, February 26, 2021

Projects on my Desk: Daemons of Khorne

Pandemic crafting has certainly taken me to new places. I've had the chance to continue working on my little army of daemons, this time one centered around everyone's favorite holiday, Valentine's Day! I entered these bloodthirsty creatures into a painting contest.

Now I do not profess to be a painter of any kind. Yet years of crafting and painting alongside projects has led to a particular set of skills, skills that put me at about an amateur level. Of course I have years of miniatures and dollhouses to help me put these together. And the dark sense of humor to enjoy creating little scenes of death and destruction...

I tried to make each a scene, almost like a vignette. The daemons have crashed a Valentine's Day celebration in various places: school, a restaurant, a date. Then, for the bigger pieces, I made it as if doves and cherubs were locked in a bloody battle to save humanity from the bloodthirsty bloodletters. A lot of the miniature pieces I made myself, specifically the tiny candy hearts that took FOREVER to mold. 

Then add a (liberal) splash of fake blood, and voila!
The battle is done!

In all honesty, I had a ton of fun putting these together. There's something satisfying about merging two of my hobbies together. And my fiance loves to see my creative side, even if it means my desk has fake blood all over it and my desk looks like a war zone. I've gotten glue all over my clothes but it was totally worth every second of it!

So please enjoy the fruits of my labor. I apologize that I don't have more photos to offer. I was in such a rush to paint that I didn't think about sharing. The photos I do have came from Golden Rhino Games, where I entered them for the contest. I have zero intention of winning, but 100% plan on making people slightly uncomfortable with the fake blood and insinuation of daemons on the loose. If they could be here in the flesh, I imagine they'd approve. So enjoy!


There's another painting contest planned for April, so we'll have to see how much I can get done by then. I'm not a particularly fast (or accurate or great) painter, but what I lack in actual skill I make up for with enthusiasm. And I'd like a full display case of these one day!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...