Wednesday, October 28, 2020

October Current Books on my Shelf

Back to my reading list! I'm realizing more and more that I stopped reading for pleasure when I was working on my master's degree years ago. I was so busy working through my classes that the thought of even a novel was too much. It's been a few years, a few moves, and a pandemic to put me back into the state of mind to enjoy reading. 

 *Note: I finished most of this post before I had COVID! It has been slow, slow healing with lingering symptoms. I've found myself having trouble focusing; I'll reread the same page over and over again.

by Tee Franklin, Jenn St. Onge, Joy San, Genevieve FT

I need to stop picking books that make me cry...seriously though. The artists did an excellent job of representing two women in love and wove their stories together like a perfectly knit sweater. The art was fantastic, and I would definitely read any other book by these authors/illustrators. I'll be dropping this in my classroom library at some point, probably when I stop rereading it! We need to normalize these love stories! Also, graphic novels are an excellent way to reach out to more readers.

by Caitlin Doughty

Ever since I was a kid, I was interested in death. My mother called it a "morbid curiosity," which I fed with as many books and movies as I could stuff into my brain. I've read other books by Doughty, specifically Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, where she discusses her experiences in the funeral industry and how we handle death in the US. She's a part of the Death Positive movement, which seeks to help people become more aware of dying, death, and find ways to help people cope and honor the process. 

In this newer book, she travels around the world to study different cultures and how they perceive death. As I'm reading, I'm transported back to the time when my own Grandma was dying, and how working through it with her (we joked that she was my soon-to-be-dead Grandma Dolly) before she died and participating in her arrangements helped me through my own grief. I have pictures of my Grandma at the funeral, as well as a lock of her hair. Based on this reading, my efforts at coping are quite normal in different parts of the world. If you are someone who has lost a loved one or want to know more about death and how it is celebrated around the world, I highly recommend this book. 

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Let me start by saying this is not a normal reading for me. I joined a nerdy girl book club, and though I like discussing any literature, I would have not picked this. With that said, I did enjoy it. It was a very Scifi book, though it was written in 1912. Please enjoy the scantily clad alien lady on the front cover! I wouldn't dare ruin any aspect of this book with spoilers, but I'll say it is a short read. There are aliens and monsters and fighting and science-y stuff. And if you REALLY get into it, apparently there is more to the series!

by James Tynion IV and Werther Dell'Edera

Another graphic novel, emphasis on graphic! My local comic store stocked up on Halloween series a few weeks ago, and I snapped up this beauty based on the cover art alone. It is not kid-friendly, so this will not be passed on to my students at some point but will remain safely tucked away in my private library at home. The story is written very well, and indeed something is killing the children. Read with caution, read with care, read with the light on!

5. Paper Illusions: The Art of Isabelle de Borchgrave
by Barbara Stoeltie, Rene Stoeltie

I'm going to be completely transparent about this book; while there is an introduction and information about Isabel, most of the book is made up of brilliant images of her work. She creates clothing and outfits from paper that she molds and paints. I'm in awe of each piece for its intricate but stunning presentation. It was a really, really nice book to read while I've been sick because of the beautiful pictures. Really now I want to work with paper again! Perhaps when I'm feeling better...

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...