Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Rug Hooking Class

Recently I've had the opportunity to take a rug hooking class. I have no desire to crochet or knit, though they seem to be pretty popular hobbies for people in living history communities. Too much counting for me (ha!). Give me teeny tiny beads all day.

Rug hooking is an old craft. After using every conceivable bit of fabric for clothing, quilts, and anything else, the final stop could be a hooked rug. Ladies cut them into strips, then pulled it through linen or burlap, and voila! The designs are adorable and very economical for the time period. Waste not, want not.

I saw a kit online, and the little sheep looked cute, so I Amazon Primed that thing to my doorstep. And it only took a few minutes to realize that the materials weren't great and I was in over my head. Hence the rug hooking class, from someone who knew what they were doing!


The instructor showed me the actual materials I should use, as well as explained the different techniques available. Then I saw some of her work; I'm excited to see what I can do next! She was very kind and helpful, and showed me enough to get started in this new craft.

We pulled out the terrible yarn and I got to work with the real wool strips. It's slow but steady work, and it didn't take too long to do a small area. It was very relaxing, and I can imagine myself finishing a whole rug in no time! I had fun playing around with the colors.

I'm almost done with my little sheep. I plan to fill in the background and border over the next week or two. It's the perfect project to do in front of the tv at night. I'll show you the finished piece when it is done!

~Kristen

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love sheep. I was reading up on rug making over the holidays, I think I'm going to try a braided yarn rug for a primitive look in my family room.

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...