Sunday, September 1, 2013

Kristen: An Announcement of Epic Educational Proportions

Now dear reader, you may be wondering why I have not written in a bit. Well, the reasons are fairly exhausting:

1. Beau has left for school-no time to write.
2. House is disaster-cleaning ensued.
3. Teaching has begun-no energy left!
4. Master's classes have started-readings galore.

It's that last point I'd like to address-my classes. Currently I am halfway through my Master's Degree in English, with a focus on Composition and Rhetoric. One class is called "Modernism and Modernity," while the other mostly studies Restoration and 18th century literature. The amount of reading would be fatal to many a person; my English background and mad reading skillz have prepared me for such workloads.
This attitude will change by November...

Furthermore, my 18th century literature class calls for regular weekly blog posts, which I will be doing right here! I am excited that my academic world and hobby life can now cross. This will continue throughout the entire semester, pushing more of my research on 18th century life and clothing. What better way to study than to look at the writings of the people in that time?

In case you are dying to know (as I'm sure you are...), here is my reading list for the next few months:
-Srinivas Avaramudan-Tropicopolitans: Colonialism and Agency
-Aphra Behn-Oroonoko
-John Gay-The Beggar's Opera
-Mary Wortley Montagu-The Turkish Embassy Letters
-Addison & Steele- Commerce of Everyday Life
-Alexander Pope-Major Works
-Frances Burney-Evalina
-Samuel Johnson-The History or Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia 
-Olaudah Equiano-The Interesting Narrative

Whew! I will be extremely busy, but happy that the blog is being updated weekly. Also, if you have read any of these books or would like to know more past my writings, please comment! I love (constructive) feedback as it will improve my writing skills. Plus, I love good research!

I'm off to the...err...reading block?

~Kristen

1 comment:

  1. I don't have those books but I do have plenty others of the colonial era.
    Let me know if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...