Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Kristen: Practice Gimping and Hair Decoupage

I can't keep myself away from the hairwork for too long. Every time I try to make myself sew, the hair beckons from across the room...Kristen...braid me...Okay. The hair isn't actually talking to me, but I'm still getting used to the idea that I am keeping what was once part of a living human being. Before I play with the hair, I wanted to practice gimping again:


This time I had an easier time of pulling the thread off the needle. I also tried a leaf with the blue thread.  The yellow turned out better as well. Most of the twirls were more even compared to my first try. I even added a little pearl bead, but it still looks rather sad. I shall have to keep practicing! Next, I decided to play with the (haunted) hair.

 I pulled out my tools

 I carefully globbed on my gum arabic

I then cut it in two

Now a little more gum to press it together

A basic braid!

A very quick attempt at weaving

For next time, I will remember to make the pieces even smaller, since they are easier to manage that way. Overall I would say this practice has been very educational. At this point I am just playing, getting a feel for the materials and the process. I have so many books, but now it's time to actually just try it!

I am also excited to see that others in my area are starting to research hairwork. This is a slow process, though I am working on several projects at the same time. I already have at least one interest in a brooch order, so I must keep practicing! In the meantime, here are my goals for this week:

1.   Finish covering my parasol.
2.   Attach the other sleeve to the mourning dress.
3.   Practice 1 round of hair gimping. 

~Kristen

3 comments:

  1. It's definitely getting better! Can't wait to see more! Are any of you going to be at the Kalamazoo Living History event this weekend?
    -Veronica K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will have to keep practicing! And I won't be able to attend the K. Living History event; I have a workshop and an engagement party to go to! I've heard very good things though, and if I can I might go on Sunday.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veronica Ill be there both days! I would LOVE to meet you up there! Im not sure yet what Ill be wearing for you to recognize me though. :( lol

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...