Thursday, January 28, 2021

On My Book Shelf: January

January is historically a quiet month in Michigan. Probably because the snow and cold block any and all sound, but that's my first guess! Honestly, there's just nothing going on. The rush of the holidays is over (and my birthday!) and we find ourselves in the middle of New Year's resolutions or some devious house cleaning challenge. Even without the pandemic, January is for staying home.

And what better thing to do at home than to read? I ordered more books that have slowly trickled in over the past few weeks, leading to another sizable collection on my nightstand. While my recovery from COVID continues, it is nice to have a comfortable activity to do at rest. Luckily, I don't fall asleep mid page turn like I did not that long ago!

By Lisa Jewell


Here's another book recommended by the book club. It's not a typical selection for me; if I'm in the mood for mystery/horror/drama, I'll jump into Stephen King's early work again :) Honestly, it was worth the time.

The story follows a woman whose daughter went missing at a young age. The author's perspective sort of sucks you in little by little in a nonchalant way, making you dig through the details. By the end, you're begging to know the whole story and speed reading to figure it out. This has to be one of my greatest fears, having a person I love to go missing. Then again, I think that's almost everyone's greatest fear! I can only do a book like this on occasion since it makes me a little paranoid about my own family.

By Samya Kullab, Illustrated by Jackie Roche



I can't get enough of these graphic novels! Especially this one. The main characters are a family that must flee the war in Syria, then find a home across the world. The story itself is gripping; between violence at home and being treated like outsiders, I'm amazed at their grit and determination to make a better life for themselves, to survive despite overwhelming forces out of their control. I'm also somehow MORE repulsed at the fact that I personally know people who have said nasty things about refugees fleeing Syria and other places. This book will definitely go in my classroom library! The artwork is very powerful, and I found myself looking at individual panels for some time. 

By Nina LaCour

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, as I picked it up in the bargain section at my local bookstore. I read it in little bits, moments that I snatched through the day when I had time. The main character has suffered through trauma and is trying to navigate the world afterwards. She's very alone and suffering through more emotions than she can understand.

Let me just say, as someone who has worked through depression and anxiety, this book hits me in the chest. While she discusses her feelings as an outsider looking in, I remember being in that moment. The author does an excellent job of leaving information out until absolutely necessary, instead focusing on the depth of emotion and feelings in the moment. As a side note, I would have paid full price for this!

By Yuyi Morales


I might be cheating a little by picking this one. It's a children's book that I read aloud during a public reading session in late January. It portrays the story of Yuyi from Mexico to the United States, where she struggled to assimilate into a culture that is not always kind and understanding of different people.

So I had to include this one because it hit me in the feels. I have family members that immigrated here from Mexico and experienced many of the same things. The otherness, the poor treatment because of language learning, always wanting to be apart of the new world but still retain identity with the old. This transfers across generations, and sometimes I find myself wishing for a place I've never known. Sometimes I wonder if yearning is written in my genetic code. Though short, the words and illustrations speak forever.

By Naomi Novik


A mix of magic, fairy tales, and everything in between. I am a huge fan of fantasy, especially when it comes to old stories and folktales. Usually a book like this would be right up my alley, but for some reason this one didn't capture my interest in the same way. Maybe it was the writing? Perhaps I couldn't connect with the main character? I also didn't completely agree with all of the choices made in the plot; it felt like there was at least one or two directions that I would have explored instead. From what I understand it is a bestselling novel right now, and I will definitely give the author another chance. But...it was okay.

Happy reading everyone! How many days until summer???

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...