Saturday, June 6, 2020

A Window of Opportunity

Is it possible that more has happened since my last post? The world feels like it sped up and slowed down simultaneously. While I can't really see anyone or attend an event, I'm ever so connected to the world. Thank you world wide web for making this all so possible.

What I see happening to people of color makes me sick. I can't say that it didn't before, but it was a difficult topic to discuss. I'd read books or articles. Most of the time it was in private conversations with people who aren't confrontational with me. Or with my students, pointing out civil rights movements and working through the writing process with them. Some tell very terrible, tragic stories about how their lives are touched, and I offer my support. I even decorated my classroom with posters to let my students know that people of color (and LGBTQ+) are safe and welcome within those four walls. But even as I type this, I know it's not enough.

I've written about such issues in the reenacting community before, once about the cancelling of the battle of Seccessionville, the other about the racist comments from the Confederate flag debate. Back in February of this year I even wrote about how our lack of inclusion and respect might just lead to the end of Civil War reenacting as we know it. I definitely had some hate mail from people (and some good conversations. Those were nice). My words from that post echo in my mind today, a foreshadowing.

Silence is compliance. 

I didn't always stand up when I heard something racist at an event (personal notes to avoid such people, but not confrontations). I'd not respond to comments online, or try to do what I thought of as a "neutral" response to situations that involved racism. Even though I did not actively participate, my inability to stand up implied that I supported such viewpoints, or at least that they would be tolerated in my presence.

I should have been more aware, should have used my voice for more good. It's easy to ignore a problem when it's not happening to you. And while I have experienced negativity for my Latina heritage, I'm white-passing with a Polish last name, so it hasn't had a terrible impact. Though I've witnessed family members suffer, I myself have not, and it's easier to forget. And just because it's easy, doesn't make it right.

I will be spending the next few weeks meeting, restructuring, and reflecting. I want to do more research about how I can be a better ally. I plan to publish a post that shows how we as reenactors/people with privilege can be more supportive in our community, and they will take some time. As the organizer of a conference/educator of children, I need to get this right. But I am working, and will have more available soon.

Stay safe. Black lives matter.

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...