Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2018, A Year in Review

Since the new year is now upon us (yay!), I thought it would be good to look back at 2018 and all the wonderful things that happened. I am of course attaching pictures!

In March I visited my friend Samantha and The Genteel Arts Conference. I took a purse workshop and visited with Liz Clark, Cheyney, and others I only see on rare occasions. Even though it's a seven hour drive, it was worth every minute on the road. I'm sad to say the Genteel Arts conference won't stay in it's original form, though if you're interested in they do offer classes on the road. Click the link to see what they have available.

Also in March? The Citizen's Forum of the 1860s! That was a BUSY month! I'm proud to say the year went even smoother than the first, with good attendance and amazing learning opportunities. Plus, I added a positivity board, with sticky notes for people to leave for one another. It went so well that OF COURSE we're planning 2019...


This spring I had the chance to watch my brother play baseball. Isn't he adorable? They won a tournament. He graduated from High School in July, and earned a baseball scholarship to Olivet College. Might I add that he's getting all A's and rocking it?
 Also in the spring, I participated in a living history event celebrating Macomb County's 200th anniversary. The 21st Michigan took over The Halfway School House in Eastepointe, Michigan and gave presentations to the public. While the attendance was not large, we had an amazing time, like a group of friends at an intimate party. I'm sad to say I only did a few events this year. Between my parents buying a new house and a new pets, it was a busy year!

Greenfield Village was fun too! I set up my vendor tent and had new things to offer. Some of my newest pieces? Seed bead bracelets, based on an original pattern. Also, floor cloths and earrings. The crowds were light this year, but at least I had a chance to hang out with Mac and Bob Sullivan, my tent neighbors. And maybe I got a touch of heat poisoning. Note to self: anything above 85 degrees and I'm in the shade, tank top and shorts, chugging water and gatorade. 

Over the summer, Dom and I went on few trips. His schedule is finally starting to lighten up, so we sneaked away to Traverse City and up to Alcona for camping, boating, and visiting with friends. For those of you who have never experienced Michigan in the summer, I recommend it! 

On our trip to Alcona, I spied this little guy in the rearview mirror of our truck. There was a litter of puppies, and he looked EXACTLY like my Rambo did. It was fated! He ran right up to us and cuddled. Since August we've had him in puppy training classes, and oh is he smart. Within the next six months we hope to have him therapy dog certified, meaning that I can take him school with me or bring him to Dom's hospital. He's definitely completed our little family! Hello Ausable (Ah-sah-bow)

Also this summer, I had the chance to visit the Detroit Institute of Arts. I've been there over a dozen times over the years, usually gravitating towards 19th century art or medieval statues. I found this beadwork gem in the modern art section. It certainly inspired a few pieces that I brought to my students in the fall.

Final awesome summer news: I'm going to be an aunt! My sister Lauren will have my first nephew in March. Isn't she gorgeous?

And fall, lovely fall! I didn't do very much in the back to school hustle, except a ton of lesson plans. I redesigned part of my classroom too, so that was a bunch of extra time. Ausable passed two training classes at Petco, and skipped puppy training altogether. He's starting his certification prep class in January. In October I was a vendor at Comiquecon, a feminist comicon that supports female artists and welcomes all people to the geekdoms. My handbound books were a hit!

I volunteered for a mourning tea in October as well at The Historic Sawyer House. I helped set up tables, clean, and gave a brief presentation on mourning with a display of my original jewelry. I met a few new friends too, and it was a wonderfully somber experience that included tea and a victorian mummy unwrapping. They really know how to throw a party at The Sawyer House!

 In November I drove all the way to New York for The Domestic Skills Symposium. This was another "just Kristen" trip, and I have to say I loved every minute. I even spent time hanging out with Anna and did a bit of crafting. I took two workshops, quill making and paper quilling. Turns out my handwriting is atrocious, no matter the century!

And last but not least, one of my favorite events of the year: Christmas at the Fort. For over five years now I've met with my reenacting family in early December to play parlor games, decorate a Christmas tree, and eat in the dining room of a 19th century house during tours. The food was yummy and my heart full of laughter as we chuckled through my terrible singing (Ken's too!). I do hope we're able to continue this wonderful event!

It's hard to sum up a year. So much can change! I was lucky that 2018 didn't throw me too many curveballs; I won't mention my troubles here (dang puppy potty training...) but do know that I struggle sometimes to get through a day. It's moments like these, looking back over 365 days, that I'm happy I pushed through and made those events happen. Life's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Hello 2019!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...