Thursday, November 8, 2018

The Domestic Skills Symposium 2018

My dear reader knows many things about me. I am impatient, messy, and sometimes even a bit clever with the right circumstances. Above all else I am a social creature that craves human interaction. (Or I start talking to myself. This is hilarious, if you ever get to see it). This year, I attended the conference alone!

At first, I balked at the idea of driving 6+ hours by myself. Can I handle staying in a hotel room alone? But there it was. People were sick, had other events, or family commitments. Sometimes the hand of fate twists things in just the right way. If I wanted to attend, I had no choice but to go solo. This made me incredibly anxious right before I left....

And I have to say....it was amazing!
Isn't it lovely?

Not that I don't love my family/friends who attend with me. It's my preferred way to go, no doubt. But there is something amazingly calm about a gentle drive alone in the woods. It was a break from human interaction that I didn't know I needed.

As for the conference itself; how does this thing keep getting better every year? I'm pretty sure there's  a history wizard out back that waves a wand and makes this happen. Because there's just no explanation for why it's always so good. (LOL I know it's blood, sweat, and tears).

On Friday I took a paper quilling workshop, an art I've seen on Pinterest boards for years. There were so many beautiful examples! Later that night I sneaked over to an AC Moore (which is better than Michaels or Joann Fabrics here in Michigan) and picked up more supplies. I think this little project will do well with my students.
 I made this!
 These were her creations!

The presentations were also quite interesting. I learned about differences in reading/writing education in the 18th century, Georgian dining delights, all that is Jello, and 1840's clothing from Queen Victoria's closet. I enjoyed the speakers and their thoughtful research. I appreciate the time it takes to gather sources, find images, and make an interesting presentation. And goodness do I love those primary source images!

The meal on Saturday was amazing! Though I realized I'm not a big fan of gelatin desserts. It didn't matter; I ate about ten rolls and artichokes. Also, I have a thing for pickled beets. (My hometown is not far from the big sugar beet factory). I have no pictures of my food this year-I ate it too quickly!

The Sunday workshop included me attempting to cut a goose feather into a pen. Then I tried to write with that pen. My fingers still have a bit of ink despite a few scrubbings. Turns out I also write cursive like a 3rd grader, despite my best efforts. Thank you Catholic school for that thoughtful instruction!


 And finally, I did some shopping. This needle book came from Anna Worden-Baursmith (She has goodies in her shop. Click here and spend all of your money...). I'm going to be really honest here. I haven't been sewing a whole lot lately. However, I like pretty things, and this is certainly a pretty thing that makes me look like an accomplished seamstress. *Sigh*

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. I'm a bit under the weather right now, so I apologize if this post is a bit shorter than it could be. Something about the time/weather change always gives me a cough right about now. I'm excited that I pushed through my anxiety to have an awesome trip. Next year I'll be going back. I hope to see you there too!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...