Saturday, July 5, 2014

Kristen: Happy Birthday America!

So I am proud to be an American. All of my family is too-even the Mexican side of my family is totally patriotic. As the grandchild of immigrants, I can say that the American Dream is really awesome and I love it. However, nothing prepared me for America's birthday in a foreign country...

No fireworks!? No flags?! No community gatherings!!!?! It was so hard not to run around screaming "America you're awesome" to the random people I saw. I suppose I should be expecting this, as I am in St. Maarten with people who really don't have any ties to the United States. A group of fellow Americans (and AUC students) decided to throw a late-night surprise pool party, but even that could not quench my American thirst. Finally, the decision was made...

Yes, that is McDonald's; there's only one two on the entire island. It was midnight and I ate a deliciously American treat. Somehow it tasted better than back home...different ingredients? That triple bacon cheeseburger, fries, and apple pie would normally get me sick back home. But today, it tasted like...

...Freedom...

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...