Sunday, October 27, 2013

Flip this! Work Tonight and Cant Sleep -Becky

Seriously. I work nights at the hospital down the block, from 11-7 am and I cant sleep. I have way too much on my mind. Aka fabric that I just bought!

I just bought this fabulous light weight 51% Linen/49% Cotton fabric at a great price!

I plan on making Folkwear's 228 Christening gown this winter.


However! I promised myself that I MUST finish all the UFO (un-finished objects) Ive started. And trust me, I have over 20! This week, I feel as if I did some major work and finished all the cloth sacks I started 2 years ago. Im now working on finishing some baby chemises, that I might give away to someone else who is having a baby around the same time as me. The next projects will be a pinner apron, finishing Sophia's bag (only have to put on the straps)! I also have 3 unfinished bonnets to put together. Kris' is one of them! Ahh I only picked up her bonnet in May! Its been that long?!

What has made me work so hard on cleaning up my immense supply of incomplete projects was not only the space that they were taking up, but because Prince George was christened this week!


Prince George of Cambridge's gown has some major history behind it. It may have history behind the gown, but in fact George is the first one to wear it! 

Prince George's gown is a replica of the same gown worn first by Queen Victoria's daughter in 1841, and has graced 60 royal babies since.

A spinster by the name of Miss Sutherland worked for Queen Victoria when she was 34 until her death at the age of 45. The seamstress' inspiration of the christening gown was of Victoria's wedding dress she wore in 1840.

It's amazing that a gown has been worn 60 times for 172 years, but with that said, it is now extremely fragile. The gown was worn by George's father, Prince William, his grandfather, Prince Charles, and his Great-Grandmother, the Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth! It is now "retired" and is kept safe and sound, but now this replica, the tradition can go on!

I have also researched some gowns from the same age of Princess Vicky's on Pintress. Ive learned that the length of the skirt was somewhat of a social status in its own right. The longest skirt Ive seen is 20" long. It makes sense that the amount of fabric used would be the equivalent of how much the family could afford. I mean come on! This is an infant! They dont need THAT much fabric!

Most of these garments are made of "off white" cotton. I feel as if the description of "off white" is the description of the garment at the current state, and I personally feel that the garment has turned color with age. The patterns of fabric very from solid white to check- windowpane and even sheer Swiss. The gowns also vary in design. Some are simple as this picture; sleeves and gathered skirt sewn to a neckline.


This one is more elaborate with a waist band and a "V" bodice. I also think the skirt looks longer than the one above.

The most elaborate design that is pinned on my broad is of this fashion plate. I wish to have a larger picture to see some detail, but the skirt is split down two sides and is separated by lace in between.



Im too excited about this! I think from tonight until I get the fabric, I will have accomplished much more and will be so much closer to making this gown!

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...