Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kristen: HSF Challenge #1 Make Do and Mend


The Challenge: #1 Make do and Mend
Fabric: 7 yards of blue cotton voile
Pattern: Loosely based on La mode Bagatelle
Year: Around 1808-1814
Notions: Cotton thread, metal hooks/eyes, cotton twill tape
How historically accurate is it? It it very accurate with all the materials used, though I did machine stitch the skirt. The rest is hand stitched.
Hours to complete: 6-7, with many breaks
First worn: I will wear it for an upcoming Museum Night as Jane Austen...more pictures to come!
Total cost: Free from stash!
This was one of the first sheers that I made for Civil War. I had heat exhaustion at an event one year, and that winter I went crazy over sheers! Unfortunately, since I was still in the earlier stages of my sewing career, I made too many mistakes to fix. The piping was too big, the arms cut too small, and somehow I managed to burn a hole in nearly every yard of the fabric. Piecing together this dress took time and patience. I'm glad to be able to recycle the fabric, as it is absolutely lovely!
~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...