I found my parasol on ebay last year for about $50. The paint was chipped, and the silk was completely destroyed. I still took it out to a few events, but I knew it was time to get it recovered...
The before-ripping-it-to-shreds pic
A close-up of the round handle. So lovely!
The beautiful but tattered silk parasol
The silk lining needed to be replaced too
Let me just say now that this class was advertised for intermediate seamstresses...and never have I felt so much like a beginner! I was surrounded by many ladies I have met before in my reenacting adventures, a few even in the 21st Michigan. It was a relaxing environment!
The class was taught by Sandy Root, who I have to say is one of the most kind and patient people I've met. I had so many questions, and she was able to answer all of them! There are many sewing techniques that I've never encountered before, and she was gracious enough to help. The process took many hours, but I'm happy with my results. She even served a delicious lunch, including chili, veggies, and soda bread. I ate far more than a "proper" lady ought to, especially when they brought out the chocolate!
I laid out my skeleton
My work station was more messy than this, I promise
Sewed it right up
By the end of the day, I was able to attach the outer covering and construct the lining. There were a few bumps here and there, so I had to make plans to continue working at home. Which I did, and have now added to this post.
I did a simple gather for the trim
The silk lining was more difficult to attach
Ta-da! It is finished and ready for its debut at Greenfield Village in May
I feel so accomplished!
My next post will include my visit to a day cap workshop. Hopefully I'll have time to attach that lone sleeve to my mourning dress. Maybe even more hair gimping! Thanks for reading!