Friday, May 3, 2019

Post Conference Recovery

Typically it takes me about a month to recover after the conference. I spend the time visiting family, catching up on my shows, spring cleaning my craft supplies...after three years of The Citizen's Forum, I've created a recovery period to survive for another year. Burnout is real!

The unfortunate part of this time of relaxation is that I'm not prepping for Greenfield Village. As an event, it requires MASSIVE amounts of prepping, even after years of attendance. I've written other blog posts about clearing out my car or crafting to prepare.

An added preparation for me includes my shop. Every year I try to add new items with research, whether it is using a new stone or re configuring a different design. Maybe I'll use a different color combination, add another display piece. It really takes several months to get ready to sell items at Greenfield Village. Even considering the time and effort, I usually cram it into one!

This year was a bit different. I tried picking up new projects, ones that keep me interested. I've attempted a tumbling blocks ribbon sachet. Luckily I've only poked myself a few times, and the amount of profanity about fidgety silk ribbon has been kept at a minimum. Hopefully the dog doesn't repeat what he hears...

Give me the %&8!@*% doughnut...

I've also been playing around with new colors and designs for beadwork. I'm having fun just sitting in front of the tv with bags of beads around. This also helps prepare for Greenfield because I'm finishing projects, even if it's slow. Right around mid-May I start my mad dash to the finish. It's better to spread out the work, plan ahead.


Also, we celebrate Russian Orthodox Easter with part of my family the week after Catholic Easter. It's relaxing and the food is awesome! My Russian is pretty non-existent, but it's a beautiful family tradition that marks the end of the school year for me.

And my nephew Reed! He was born on a THURSDAY, just as we were setting up for the conference. I imagine that little stinker is going to time things perfectly for the rest of his life. Also, he is not stinky right now, he still has that fresh baby smell.


That's pretty much what I've been up to since March. I'm hoping to make it to more summer events this season, as well as post more on the blog. We'll see what new twists life will throw at us :)

~Kristen

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...