Friday, May 10, 2019

Spring Cleaning

'Tis the season for spring cleaning! Time to scrub down the windows, organize the shelves, and slides into the domestic goodness that is my womanly virtue.

Ha

I am many things, but as most of my family and close friends will tell you, completely neat and organized is not one of them. Now sure, my classroom where I teach everyday is certainly put together. But alas, my poor car and parts of our house are a complete and utter disaster at times.

Probably the worst spot is my craft room. Here my 19th century jewelry business meets my modern business meets my reenacting closet. Between a chewy puppy and two sneaky cats, something had to change. Here, gaze upon the terrible mess that is my space.

*These pictures were taken after we had already done a huge clean up. *Sigh



Apparently I am not alone in my cleaning endeavors. Many 19th century publications offer advice to housekeepers and ladies wishing to find the pinnacle of cleanliness.

Godey's Lady's Book; May, 1859
HOUSE CLEANING 
So homely a topic as house cleaning has its charms, as well as royal beauty, and we know that at this season young housekeepers are glad of any hints on the subject. Many people have their general house cleanings in the warm November days, which we call Indian summer, when the flies have disappeared. The carpets are shaken, walls whitewashed, and the idea is that the house is more shut up, and will keep clean, with a little rearranging, through the summer. Where families go to the country, the town house certainly needs but one upsetting, and that is just before their return in the fall; but where the house is occupied the year round, our own fancy is to have everything fresh and clean with the spring, to do away with the dust and smoke of the winter thoroughly.

I will post pictures of the room once it is complete. Hopefully I will find a bit of inspiration in the 19th century ladies and their "shaken carpets." I certainly fancy a fresh and clean apartment!

~Kristen

2 comments:

  1. It is always somewhat relieving to hear I'm not the only one whose sewing space is a complete disaster! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vous recherchez des patrons de couture , des modèles de broderie , des patrons d’habits de poupée , des patrons de robes victoriennes . Déjà plus de 750 planches de patrons à télécharger http://www.french-crea-vintage.com/fr/ avec leurs revues d’époque.

    You are looking for patterns of embroidery, patterns of doll clothes, patterns of Victorian dresses . Already more than 750 pattern boards to download http://www.french-crea-vintage.com/en/

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...