Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Final Greenfield Village Preparations

I've posted about Greenfield Village preparations in the past, but even though I know EXACTLY what needs to be done, I'm still running all over the place to get things dones. Despite organized lists, dedicated prep time, and even an extra pair of hands, I still find myself wondering why the heck do I do this?
Yes, I'm drinking my father's drink while he parks my trailer...

The answer is of course that I love living history. And to do something you love, sometimes you have to prepare. This year, one thing that took up a bit of my time was preparing my trailer.

I bought the trailer a few years ago, and my parents have graciously allowed me to store it on their (awesome) property, under a covered part of their pole barn. My father is meticulous about storing things properly. Also, he is a fanatic about safety.

If there was anywhere to be a fanatic about with safety, this is a good place. We check my breaks, the tires, lights, add grease or WD40 where needed, and toss in the spare tire/lug wrench. Then we carefully balance to make sure the whole thing won't tip when I hit the road. Between the poles, canvas, chairs, and tables, it's pretty heavy. He typically stands there with a beer in hand, making sure I do the whole thing the way it's supposed to be done.
If you had told me five years ago that I would own/service a trailer, I would have laughed. But it's serious stuff, and if you're planning summer events, please go check to make sure everything is in place. Make sure have insurance, your AAA card, or whatever you need to travel. Reenacting goes so much more smoothly when you do. Happy (safe) reenacting my friends!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...