Thursday, July 4, 2019

Greenfield Village 2019

This post is coming just a bit later than I'd like, but oh is it exciting to be on summer vacation again! There's something about staying up late every night...and getting up early to teach and then work on my shop. Really summer break is just another "shift" of work, one that allows me to have a bit more financial freedom with online teaching. But I digress. GREENFIELD!

(Photos of me are from Ken Giorlando of Passion for the Past, the rest are Anneliese)

Image may contain: Kristen Mroz, smiling, standing

This year was absolutely fantastic in a million ways. First, my friend Anneliese, who is the blogger The Young Sewphisticate, drove in and helped out for the weekend. And by helped out, I mean made cookies, tidied our tent bedroom, made the shop amazing, and even saved my Grandma's mirror when the tent went down during a storm. (Everyone was okay; a few people lost items, but no one hurt). Stephen and Allison were my new vendor neighbors who fed me once (heroes) and were fun to hang out with. And of course Mac, Bob, and Janet made for good company.
(I ate most of these)

As per usual, I took no pictures. Anneliese was AMAZING and did that for my shop. The weekend was very busy, and I sold more jewelry than I have in the four years I've been selling at Greenfield Village. While the financial part is a plus (I'm eyeballing a few 19th century dresses on Ebay right now), the best part was having people to hang out with throughout the day. I added new jewelry to the shop too, and I liked the positive response to some of my new research.

Image may contain: 5 people, including Jillian Drapala, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

Another cool thing; I was able to participate in this year's 21st Michigan group photo! Usually I'm swamped over at the shop. I even sneaked in a few photo bombs...
Image may contain: 4 people, including Rebecca Goodenow and Kristen Mroz, people smiling, child, wedding and outdoor


Since I hang out under my tent fly all weekend, I love when people come to visit. This year my family drove down from Caseville. I was able to spend a little time with my new nephew, Reed. My family is growing bit by bit, and the little fellow is the perfect addition. He's in the stroller in this picture, so I added a more recent one my sister took. I assume that he loved every minute of Greenfield Village and he will join me in reenacting clothes in the future.
Image may contain: 4 people, including Rebecca Goodenow and Kristen Mroz, people smiling, child, wedding and outdoor
Image may contain: 4 people, including Monica Christine, Kristen Mroz and Nick Siegfried, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, baby
Please note this is the biggest picture in the post for...reasons...



So I did actually get a few pictures of Anneliese dancing. And I turned them into a GIF because why not? And I was happy to see her out on the floor; I'm usually pretty tired by Sunday night, so my ballroom participation is usually limited to drinking lemonade and admiring pretty dresses. Still, it was a lot of fun to hang out!



I will count this year at Greenfield Village a smashing success. June was my month off, and now I'm headed right into Conference Preparations. Look for future posts; we have a ton of good changes! 

Be safe out there my fellow history-lovers! 

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...