Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Christmas at Fort Wayne, 2019

Some people start playing Christmas music in October. Others wait 'til after Thanksgiving to start decorating their house. For me, my holiday cheer doesn't begin until my Christmas as Fort Wayne in Detroit. Suddenly, I'm ready for the fat Santas and miles of lights.

However, this year there was a bit of a hiccup. Our Fort Wayne event typically hosts tours of the public that shows Christmas in different houses/time periods. They meet in a specific spot at the Fort, one that unfortunately needed urgent repairs and could not be used. At first, we thought the event would be cancelled, which would be somewhat tragic for my Christmas spirit. But then, we were told we could use the building, but there would be no public to present to.
*Photos by Ken Giorlando


Which means practicing first person! We had a lovely group, and as always I felt very comfortable. This year did have a twist; Carrie (or Agnes) has little Nadia. In the 19th century, a domestic servant would not have or bring a child to work with her. So we pretended for a bit that she was mine, though she deeply cared for her caretaker, Agnes. I had a chance to get in some baby cuddles, and hopefully Carrie got a bit of a break too!
Dinner was fantastic as always. I made my apples, onions, and sausage dish, and we feasted on ham, roasted vegetables, bread, and pickled everything. Dessert was pie and cake, complete with a very large dollop of whipped cream. I look forward to this meal for weeks, and this year was no exception. Eating in the light of the candles lent that authenticity that makes you feel like you're truly there!

Now I'm ready for true holiday spirit! Have a safe holiday season, folks, and have fun!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...