Monday, February 11, 2013

Kristen: Hairwork Technique of Gimping

Hello fellow readers! Since I have gotten so much positive feedback on my hairwork post, I thought I'd continue with another about the basic technique that is used in most hair wreaths/boxes. I am of course talking about gimping.

Most of the little loops and curls and finished in the deceptively difficult process called gimping. Before I could even begin, I had to do a little research to find some instructions. I stopped at www.hairwork.com. The first basic tutorial that pops up is for "Hair Flower Instructions." If you are at all interested, spend the $5 and they'll send you a little history and a few pages of instructions with pictures. Seriously, I recommend buying this. 

Very helpful!

The instructions seem easy enough at first: "It is really nothing more than a row of hair loops wrapped over a knitting needle with wires crossed under each loop holding it fast to the needle." Alright, (I thought), simple gimping. There is no way I can mess this up!

I am of course referring to the last gimping fiasco. Thankfully no one was hurt...

I will prevail! This time I made a point of having a dry, steady hand. Now I will include basic instructions (still...buy the instruction packet...I can only do so much). 

First, cut and halve your wire

Then make a little loop around the metal rod

Twist a few times

Then lay it out like this

Make a loop with the thread

Twist the wire

 Repeat!

And repeat some more

 It will look like this when its finished. Then pull it off...

 And ta-da! A big mess of string!

That you will form into a ball to attempt to make a flower

This time though, I studied my technique and went a bit slower. I realized that I wasn't completely crossing the wire underneath the string, so it flailed around everywhere. Also, since I left string at the beginning and the end, even the smallest of tiniest of movements tugged the whole line out of place. Instead of getting frustrated, I decided to get even.

This time, cleaner loops. I also worked in the extra thread. 

I was more careful pulling it off the metal. 

I see (small) improvement

I knew this process would be a large undertaking, so I am content to simply let this be today's work. Back in the time when this was popular, a young lady would learn this from a family member who would pass the skill to future generations. I imagine that it took more than a few lessons to get it just right! I will try to practice at least once a day and see my progress over the next few weeks.

I must be careful to remember that I still need to complete my mourning dress! Before I blog next, I must PROMISE to myself to do the following:

1. Re-gather the bodice to make a better fit
2. Add the waistband
3. Finish creating all piping
4. Start the armscye piping

Until next time everyone! Please leave a comment, I enjoy them very much!

~Kristen

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I've seen hair art before in museums but had no idea how one would go about making such a thing. I'd never have guessed that it was made with the help of wire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! All of this has been rather fascinating. I've also realized that the wire and thread I am using are all too thick. I can't imagine going any thicker, but apparently I must!

      Delete
  2. I see a lot of improvement! :) How interesting! I can't imagine how long it must have taken to make a whole wreath...

    ReplyDelete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...