Wednesday, December 1, 2021

A Little Winter Hair Change

When you meet me in person, you might notice a few things right away. I don't wear makeup, and I'm really lazy about my hair. In fact, I'm lazy about a lot of things, but specifically I love to be comfortable. Nothing too tight or itchy; I operate at a pajama level of comfort on a daily basis in all of my wardrobe. My hair goes up in a matching ponytail too.

My lack of haircuts has been a lifelong problem. I blink and suddenly it's been a year and my hair is very long. I'll do a nice dye, perhaps a cute cut, and then forget again. Add COVID into the mix, and it took two years this time. Remember when I dyed the ends blue on my birthday in 2019? That bleached section is now blonde and looking scraggly. It was way past time for this haircut!


In the end, I was able to donate 13 inches of hair to Children with Hair Loss, and I hope someone gets a fun wig out it. To be honest, I hadn't realized how heavy my hair really was, and the constant pulling on my neck and scalp caused headaches. I'm also excited to be able to style it again; the length made it difficult to do much of anything, like curls.

It feels really nice to have this change. I know there are different cultures that see hair as sacred, and it can also carry emotion. Considering my illness last year, a former toxic work environment, and the terrible school year, my hair felt extra heavy. It feels odd to say this, but I almost feel like a bunch of negativity and pain is now gone, as well as grief. It's hard to explain these emotions! At the same time, one thing is constant; I feel better, and I want to stay that way.

So I hope you like my new haircut! I'll be twirling my new locks around my fingers for the rest of the week. And maybe adding more headbands to my daily wardrobe?

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...