Saturday, November 28, 2020

On My Book Shelf: November

One of the longest-lasting effects of the COVID has been exhaustion. I've found myself able to do basic daily tasks (work, hygiene, pets, light housework/cooking), but I'm pretty tired by the afternoon, to the point that walking around seems daunting. It can be very frustrating since I want to use my whole day. Even then, there are days that I can barely drag myself from my bed to the computer to teach online. COVID has been a roller coaster of effects, one that I'd like to finish at any time.

Reading requires little movement, and if I fall asleep with a book in my hand...I wake up with two cats and a dog snuggled on top of me. Reading has certainly been the perfect recuperating activity because I feel like I'm doing something. And since my pile of unread books has dwindled in the past few months, I had to buy more! If you have any suggestions, I'm totally open to them. There are never too many books on the shelf...


by Paula Byne


A lovely read, one that I actually selected because I'm in the middle of writing some Jane Austen fanfiction. I like how the author teases out Austen's writing elements and connects them to her daily life. Everything from crosses, shawls, lace, and miniature paintings are examined, and it's actually quite a thick book. By giving such context, it helps me to find more meaning in my own writing. If you've not read this and you are a Jane Austen fan, I definitely think you should!


by Catalina de Erauso 
Translation/Forewords by Michele and Gabriel Septo, Marjorie Garber


This story has everything. Catalina de Erauso, a 16th-century nun, decided that she was done with life in the convent. She chopped up her habit to make pants and a shirt, cut her hair, and lived the rest of her life as a man. This book is a translation of her adventures in The New World, with the foreword explaining the time period. Since I'm not as familiar with 16-17th century life, it was all new to me!

There is a problem with reading a translation of a book from Spanish to English; the English language does not encompass gender in the same way. There were many times that Catalina changed how she gendered herself, which feels more fluid in Spanish. I may go back and read the untranslated version to better understand that context. Regardless, Catalina stabs a lot of people and leads an exciting life.

by Esmeralda Santiago


I've recently enjoyed diving into books that explore the Latinx experience. While I am not Puerto Rican, I enjoy learning about the vast experiences of others. Being Latinx is not a monolith; each life is just a snapshot, all valid and worth study. In this book, I love the way Esmeralda dives into the details of each moment, from the juiciness of fruit in her yard to the dirt on the playground after she fights other children. Many things she has seen are 

by Dan Wickline, Phillip Sevy

Let me start by saying that the art in this book was beautiful. I have an image here from the inside, one that's just too pretty not to include. The storyline is Scifi/a touch of horror, with the main character developing a special power. I'm not a fan of traditional superhero books, so imagine my surprise when I fall in love with this series. There are a few graphic panels, but it does not take away from the plot (just a warning if you're buying for someone). I have the next one in the series ordered and on its way!

written by Kyle Starks, illustrated by Gabo

This book was super fun to read. Another graphic novel was added to my collection! And as I was researching, I discovered that the writer also does Rick and Morty, an animated series I enjoy! A dog that fights zombies is always going to be a bestseller. I'm patiently waiting for the next book in the series...and possibly training my beagle to hunt the undead. We'll see if that particular skill comes in handy one day!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...