Sunday, June 14, 2020

Civic Engagement

I recently had the opportunity to attend youth-organized protests in both Flint and Holly, Michigan. Since I live close by, it was really easy to scoot over to the designated places. I wore a mask, held a sign, and marveled at young people who want their voice to be heard. They weren't my students but I was proud to see them engage publicly.

As I type these words we are making history. Every blog post I write captures a moment in time. When I look back at these pictures after the event, I see hope in the eyes of young people. It was truly a thought-provoking experience to participate, and I plan to do so again in the future. The stories I listened to inspired me to be a better ally, a better person.

*I wore a mask the entire time, even outside, and did my best to socially distance. While I am not happy about the idea of large groups assembling, I make a big exception for this. These protesters are not shopping at a mall or going to a concert. They are trying to shape the future of this country. Still, they handed out hand sanitizer and made more of an effort to distance than pushy people I've encountered at the grocery store.
Image may contain: 1 person, crowd and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and shoes
Image may contain: one or more people, people dancing, crowd and outdoor
Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, shoes, child, crowd and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, shorts, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, tree, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor


As I said in an earlier post, I am thinking and reflecting about how I can improve myself, as well as the things I can control. Attending these protests was one of the steps in that process, and I am glad that I have done it. Other than a sunburn (LOL), these were all powerfully effective experiences.
~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...