Sunday, April 12, 2020

Quarantine Kristen

Since my last post I've had time to think, to ruminate about the virus that's infiltrated our lives and robbed us of our freedom. I've not left our apartment for more than a grocery run and a dog walk, so I've really been able to reflect about the quarantine and how I feel about it. Have to say I'm not a fan!

It's still building steam here in Michigan. We went from a few cases, to hundreds, to thousands. Our death count is currently at 1,487 with 24,638 people infected. The predictions are quite dire, and I can't imagine another day when 205 people die. There is hope that the aggressive social distancing has made an impact, and we will slowly start to see those numbers drop. My fiance works in the medical field, and it took me about two weeks to sleep okay. I was terrified something might happen to him, and no amount of melatonin would help me. When he continued to be his slightly ornery self I felt better.

The governor ended the school year, so I will be teaching online for the foreseeable future. Just when I started to recover from my lack of sleep, I had lesson plans and emails to attend to. Sometimes I'll read a chapter from a book to my students on Google Hangout. I think they're getting antsy, based on the fact that they all suddenly want to email me to say hey.

I am finally starting to feel like myself again. I'm working on projects, doing yoga, and walking the dog as much as possible. I'll probably finish my second book soon too. Creatively I'm starting to do different things. Rug hooking has been a favorite, along with paper collage. I have some ideas for a third book that may come to fruition, though we'll see how long quarantine lasts.

We've not come to a decision yet about the conference. While there is hope we may be released from quarantine in the next month, it is difficult to plan. I'm throwing around some ideas as of now, but we'll see what we can work with when the time comes. I'm cautiously optimistic, if not a little tired still. As soon as I get enough information, I'll let everyone know the plan.

I hope you're all staying safe and healthy. It's a crazy COVID world out there, and I plan on seeing you on the other side of this!

~Kristen

1 comment:

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...