Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Punch Paper Project Progress

One of my resolutions this year is to continue working on projects throughout the year. They keep me busy, and push me to do more research/try new techniques. I've had my eye on this little punch paper bag for quite some time, but never made myself work on it. Just for reference, here it is:

I've made the thimble case in the past and it was such a cute little thing. It took forever to cut the design into the paper, then carefully attach the silk on the inside. It's a flimsy box even when I first made it. I look at the surviving originals and wonder how they survived at all.

At first I thought the round bag was for gloves. Ha! It's not even possible, unless they're teeny tiny little gloves. The text reads "Mend your gloves," which means it might be a bag for small sewing supplies. I'm guessing here, but gosh is it tiny. Based on my observations, it looks like the punch paper piece is created with punch paper at the bottom. Then a bag is stitched to the inside. Here's what I came up with:

I added chipboard at the bottom to reinforce it-next time I'll create a round bottom covered with fabric to make it prettier (I've seen that on other original sewing bags). I used an exacto knife to cut the design at the top of the paper. It doesn't show in the picture, but I made a little mistake there. 

It was adorable and easy to create once I figured out how to manipulate the punch paper. I can see these being fun gifts for friends. Or perhaps a prize for the conference? And the amount of sayings you could add are endless. Maybe "Mind your mending" or "No idle hands." Oh the snarky snark I could snark...

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...