Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kristen: Greenfield Village 2014

This post is definitely coming a little late. With the mad end-of-the-year rush, as well as preparations for an amazing summer, I found the keyboard to be a bit sticky...as in, I was too exhausted to dedicate any time to anything.
This year did turn out quite excellent, as usual. It's hard to imagine a Civil War reenactment at Greenfield Village that isn't a success! So many perfect moments, such a precious time to enjoy them. Also, another wonderful thing...seeing my little projects show up in my fellow reenactors' impressions! My stitchery and jewelry came out in true form over the weekend. My sewing basket as well as my new silk chatelaine added nicely to my impression! The dainty red silk purse was a bonus!

This year I had less family/friends visiting, so I was able to take a closer look at the 19th century fashion display. The wrapper was stunning, and I literally drooled at the thought of one of the sheers. I don't often have the opportunity to see period pieces up close and personal (though pinterest is totally awesome...). There's a little green box in the accessories section that I want to try to make at some point this summer, though it will be more complicated than my usual box.

You'll never guess who I ran into at the fashion display! You may recognize Samantha McCarty and Katie Jacobs from their blogs! It was lovely to meet my fellow bloggers, especially in such a research-oriented place. Of course I would love to plan an historical bloggers conference at some point, but I've been told I shovel too much onto my plate already. Does someone else want to plan it???

On Saturday night we all participated in a reflection ceremony, which called for us to bring candles onto the field in honor of the Memorial Day festivities. While I couldn't capture the beautiful moment, I was able to pose just a bit before with my lantern. So here I am, totally rocking this lantern. Who knew I could make a lantern look this good?

Amid the hustle and bustle of the weekend, I did get to spend a bit of time with my plump little goddaughter. Seriously she is getting way too cute for her own good. Becky had her in period clothes, just adorable! Cynthia's quite strong for her age too, and oh so wiggly! One day I will totally tell this child made-up stories about her amazing strength, possibly convincing her of a bloodline with Superman.

To be honest, it's hard to pick my favorite moment of the weekend. Oh wait, I've got it. Mrs. Cook, laundress extraordinaire, washed a set of my underclothes and delivered them to my tent tied with a neat red cord. Do you know how good clean underclothing feels. DO YOU!?!

Oh yes. Another wonderful Greenfield Village weekend. 

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...