Wednesday, September 22, 2021

A Baby Shower, Historic House Style

Let me just start by saying no...I'm not pregnant! But my cousin Juliana is, and after missing her wedding because of COVID, I was really excited to say hi and celebrate with her and the family. Of course, it was a small gathering, masked, and required vaccination. That's a cool thing about my cousin-she believes in science!

I was even more thrilled to see she was holding her shower at a historic house in St. Claire Shores, Michigan. Ardmore Park Place is now operating as a tea house/gift shop, but it was built in the 1870s by a German farm family. Over the years it has operated as a roadhouse, blind pig, bordello, and then a furniture store. In 2012 the city declared the house an official historic building. You can read here for more information from their website.

Unfortunately, I did not get many pictures of the inside, as I was busy doing baby shower stuff (why yes I did win a baby shower BINGO...). It was a delightful little spot, and the staff was really sweet and accommodating. The whole thing was just so adorable, between the atmosphere and the food, I didn't know what to do with it all. There's something so comfortable about being in an old house, like a lived-in feeling that makes you feel at home.


She is literally glowing

In between my eighth cup of tea and cookies, I couldn't help but think about my Grandma Dolly. I think she would have absolutely gushed about the shower, from start to finish. I could practically hear her voice, pouring another cup of tea and pointing out the lace. It's moments like these that I miss her most. She was there I guess, even if it was in our collective memories.

It was especially nice to see everyone, and I'm hoping I can do more small gatherings this fall, unlike in 2020. We have plans to visit a few spots, including Greenfield Village, though the weather and timing will be a factor. Also, some lovely upcoming Christmas present planning...if only my carpal tunnel doesn't flare up again!

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...