Monday, January 11, 2021

A New Year, New Space In Progress

Perhaps for some of my readers, this will be news. I am...not always organized. Messy, even, at times. It is a constant flaw that has plagued me for much of my life. As an adult, I've made huge changes to help counteract my lack of organization, and it has helped. Last year I used the Marie Kondo method to redo our entire apartment, and it really helped. When we moved we were far more organized and prepared, and it just felt better. But the one space that is still difficult is the craft room!

For years I've operated my research, business, and crafting in less than ideal conditions. There was always something a little off about the space. I'd pick too-small desks, poor room design, and not properly utilize the space. At first, everything would be fine, and over a few weeks, it would dissolve into an uncontrolled mess. While I do think the creative process sometimes demands chaos, I'd like an easier system in which to organize it.

When we moved I discovered that we would have the space to create a more open craft room, and I was psyched! It has taken months to finish the room (because someone got COVID...) but now we're finally working on the finishing touches. I'm excited to get back into my hobbies, and enjoy them in a more organized way!

So here's a bit of a teaser of what we've started. I'm especially excited to have my books organized, as well as open space to store items from my shop. The fabric boxes are FINALLY labeled, and I can even display a few past projects for inspiration. Hopefully, I can keep up this system :)


I hope your 2021 plans have gone well so far. You know, except for that whole terrorist attack by white supremacists in our nation's capital. And the threats of violence in the future, mixed in with a deadly pandemic that kills thousands of people every day. 

But yeah. I control everything in this craft room so that's nice.

~Kristen

2 comments:

  1. I have always been disorganized because I tend to leave projects unfinished - I get inspired to do something new, and then I forget to put away the previous project(s). I didn't know why I struggled with that so. much until I was diagnose with ADHD just before my 43rd birthday. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Better late than never, I guess!

    And yeah, it helps to at least have some control over our surroundings, doesn't it? Despite the dumpster fire that is going on outside of our homes (and in some cases, inside them...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one so disorganized! I see all of these very pretty pictures online of perfectly created craft rooms, and here I am just clearing a spot on my desk to work!

      Delete

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...