Sunday, August 9, 2020

Latina Inspiration

We're still in the process of unpacking boxes and setting up our new place. The pets have settled in nicely now, though the humans are trying to make sense of things. I had a way of doing things before, and now that system is different. I'm not a big fan of change! But even my anxiety can see how much better our new location is for us. One box at a time...

I've also had the chance to do a little research. My friend Katie at Latina Living History has begun the process of researching an impression that honors her heritage. I've been slowly dipping my feet into the sources as well, bit by bit. I've never seen a group of Latina women participate in a living history event in historic Mexican clothing, let alone an actual impression. Katie has graciously given me some of her sources and I plan to make my way through it. Here's a few things I found in my own searches:


Godey's Lady's Book. June, 1847
COSTUMES OF MEXICAN LADIES.
File:Poblanas.jpgFile:Framed drawing by A.F. Harmer of a portrait of Dona Mariana Coronel as "La Perfiladora" and wearing the "China Poblana" dress, ca.1890-1903 (CHS-2060).jpg
414: Mexican Treatise on the Rebozo. 1851

There will be more coming! This is just a peek at what I'm seeing so far. Eventually I'd like to put together an outfit as well, but that might be awhile. In the meantime I'll be reading and learning to embroider. It's not like we have any events coming up in the near future, so I'm okay with leaning into this slowly, one book at a time.

~Kristen




No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...