Wednesday, November 13, 2019

The Domestic Skills Symposium 2019

Oh November. You have not disappointed yet, and we've only seen half of it. This year I again had the privilege of attending The Domestic Skills Symposium in Genesee, New York. GCVM is an amazing place, and this conference sets the tone for my entire holiday season. So wonderful learning mixed with a record-breaking snow storm?

Seems Reasonable.

My Mom accompanied me on the trip, which added a twist. Last year I traveled alone, and while I enjoyed the peace and quiet, it was nice to have someone to share the experience with. While my Mom claims she never liked history as a kid, she seemed to really enjoy the lectures. She especially liked the historic meals and asked about cooking from the original recipes.
Jennifer went too! And I wore cool hats

On Friday I taught a workshop on beaded dragonflies and butterflies. I created a handout with my research (primary sources yay!), and I brought out my own beaded collection of original 19th century butterflies. And to top it off, I was able to hold the conference in one of the historic houses in the village. It was a little chilly, but it felt so neat learning in a cool old house.
You can feel the history oozing off the walls

My students were very happy with the class, and mentioned they would like to see punch paper next year! Their creations were lovely, and they appreciated the research.I was impressed by how quickly they picked up the techniques. It was such a pleasant afternoon, beading away with other people just as excited about it as I am.

While I was teaching, my Mom sat at my table with my jewelry. I love having an audience who appreciates my research and whats to know more. My fellow vendors brought their A game as well; from hand spun fabric/thread and stitched mice to carved wood, I was in good company!
*Many of these photos by Jennifer Long-she's better at this than me!

 On Saturday we attended the main seminars of the conference. Here's the schedule:

"A Story in the Threads: The Clothing of Enslaved Women in the Antebellum South" by Cheyney McKnight, Public Historian and Proprietor of Not Your Momma's History.

"What's On The Table? An Exploration of Regional Shifts in Colonial Mid-Atlantic Foodways" by Lavada Nahon, Culinary Historian-Cook-Independent Scholar
"Stitching for Freedom: Quilts, Sewing Groups, and the Anti-Slavery Movement" by Judy Deyo, GCV&M Hand-Quilter and former educator.

"Upon These Shoulders: Speaking Truth to Power. The Freedom Fighters in Upstate New York." by David Shakes, Actor, Director, Producer and Historical Interpreter.
I had an opportunity to say hello to Cheyney again, as she spoke at The Citizen's Forum of the 1860's in March. This time I could actually sit and listen, rather than run around preparing things. The seminars were well-researched and thought-provoking. I was on the edge of my seat listening to David Shakes read poetry, while I have a few recipes from Lavada that I might try. Also, can I try quilting too? 

The meal was a master class of seasonings, spices, and tastes. A particular favorite at our table was the "Onion Pye," which featured boiled eggs, potatoes, and onions under a flaky pie crust. I was surprised by how delicious the fried celery was, though I suppose frying anything makes it taste awesome! And the "excellent rolls" were most excellent indeed. For dessert I especially liked the plum cake with whipped topping. Oh, and just a nibble of candied orange! What magic do they use to make this feast so good from year to year? We are so much I thought I would pop.


On Sunday I took a workshop on ribbon work. Many of the techniques I had tried in the past, but it was fun to learn new ones. I didn't finish many example pieces, so I took pictures of the instructor's ribbon to give myself an idea of future projects. Hair ribbons, anyone?

Probably the most crazy part of the conference was the visit to the collection. We went behind-the-scenes to examine original 19th century items in the museum and in storage. Brandon Brooks, L'Aspect Ancien, gave an EXCELLENT tour. He was not only knowledgeable, but made a point of connecting us to our points of research. A good teacher understands how to reach the students. He personally pulled items that had beadwork and we had thoughtful discussions about each piece. Even, my Mom, who had limited interest in historic research, was in awe of the tour. It has given me so many new ideas for projects that I can't function until I do at least one!



After an amazing few days, we planned to stay just a bit longer to check out Niagra Falls and visit a museum nearby. Instead, the Midwest decided to do what she does best; ruin our plans! At first they were predicting 1-3 inches for the day we were driving back through Canada (it's actually a shortcut). I had a feeling deep in my bones that it would be worse, so we left early and headed straight home. I am so glad we did this!

Looking at the map, I live in the dark purple range. Even this prediction was wrong; I measured more than 10 inches on my car. The drive was perilous at best, and we were lucky to have my Mom's truck for the duration. At a few points we survived by the skin of our teeth. Michigan, you confusing minx.

So I lived to blog another day. I came home to a raging storm, then a snow day on Tuesday. I'm still unpacking my bag and giving the puppy and kittens cuddles to make up for lost time. It was an amazing conference, a good time to catch up with friends, and the perfect way to start my holiday season. I hope you all stayed safe during the storm, and look for a post next week about Black Friday Shopping ideas!
~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...